“In the midst of movement and chaos, keep stillness inside of you.” – Deepak Chopra
Our last blog addressed the dangers of stress to your health, and briefly touched on the importance of exercise to individual well-being. We received notes from friends afterwards, asking about other ways to relieve stress in our daily lives, so we compiled this quick “cheat sheet” for some easy ways to help reduce your stress.
- Chew gum. This may seem like a strange tip, but stress can manifest in the jaw – Just consider how often angry people clench their jaws! Chewing gum loosens up the muscles in this area. As a bonus, peppermint and spearmint are used in aromatherapy to help relieve stress.
- Light a scented candle. We mentioned aromatherapy, but it’s not just the mint family that can help relieve stress. Lavender, ylang-ylang, and sandalwood are just a few smells that encourage relaxation and tension relief. Incense is also a great option.
Deep breaths! Breathing techniques are a wonderful way to decompress. Even just allowing yourself a few good, deep breaths can help calm your nerves.
- Eat something. Bananas, chocolate, and nuts are a few great options for stress relief. Looking for other great options? We like this short list from Buzzfeed.
- Just take a few minutes to yourself. Especially at work, a break is vital to staying productive and happy during the day. A few ideas for ways to use your break; Meditate, read an uplifting article or story on the internet, or just look at pictures of cats being cats. We’ve also included some options in our links below.
Take some time out of your day today to relax!
- 10 Websites to Help You Relax for Two Minutes
- Breathing Exercises for Relaxation
- Aromatherapy, University of Maryland Medical Center
- Just Breathe : Body Has a Built-In Stress Reliever, NPR
- Relaxation Techniques, Wikiversity