We don’t need to tell you over and over again the keys to a healthy lifestyle. You already know that eating lots of fruits and vegetables, exercising a couple times a week, sleeping good hours and stressing less are going to help you go far in life. In the case of your amazing brain, these healthy practices will certainly be a favor for the most important body part in the human anatomy:
- The human brain needs you to sleep at least 8 hours nightly to improve memory and retention of what you learn during the day.
- Stress will make your brain alert in the short run, but in the long run, it will tire your brain out. And there’s some correlation between long-term stress and increased risk of dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Exercise has tons of benefits for your brain! This chart from Mens’ Health portrays it quite well!
But what if you want to go beyond the basics? Wouldn’t you like to do as much as you can to preserve the condition of your brain’s health for the rest of your life? Here is what we’ve learned from medical research that may help your brain’s anatomy:
- Eat more fish: While we don’t have a proven method to prevent or cure Alzheimer’s Disease yet, studies have shown that healthy adults who eat fish every week are less likely to develop Alzheimer’s Disease.
- Add some spice to your life! Studies have shown that adding spices, especially turmeric, target inflammatory pathways in your nervous system, and ultimately lower your risk for getting neurodegenerative diseases.
- Do a little yoga! The benefits of yoga on your brain’s health are plenty. It may reduce symptoms of depression, anxiety, and epilepsy. It increases the level of gamma-aminobutyric acid in the brain, which helps nerve activity. And, people who do yoga show an improvement in mood and decrease in anxiety.
To learn more about your amazing brain, see our brain anatomy models and medical charts! They’re an extra 10% off until March 18th, when you enter code BRAIN10 at checkout.